i first met Louka on facebook, a place where communities grow and evolve. most anyone who has some mention of kettlebell in their profile, or are somehow affiliated with kettlebell training, will accept a friend request from a compadre kettlebell enthusiast. Louka was training and growing his business and so we connected in the virtual world.
then, much to my surprise one day, as i am puttering in the kitchen, i hear him being introduced in a DNTO episode on CBC radio! that rather put his cool factor up in my books.
and, to continue with the coincidences, when i arrived at the site of the february 2015 StrongFirst SFG1 course – at United Therapies Strive in Winnipeg – the first person i was to meet, as we doffed our footwear, was none other than Louka. Louka was there as a course assistant.
this is how the kettlebell universe continues to expand.
Louka Kurcer is above all else StrongFirst. his training is based on the belief that strength fixes almost everything. he trains and teaches with a minimalist, yet highly effective, approach and is considered an expert in the practice of hardstyle kettlebell, flexibility, and bodyweight strength training within the StrongFirst community.
Louka’s attitude can be compared to that of an old-time strongman and a martial artist. he challenges his students to “practice” rather than “workout”.
he is about the underlying principles, not just the tools:
“an exercise or movement has greater value if it is done with quality and purpose. that is how I build real, long lasting strength.”
he believes strength training should be a lifestyle and advocates being able to train anytime and anywhere.
“A kettlebell can replace an entire gym…and if you don’t have one available, you can still get very strong using just your body.”
that is his one-mind-any-weapon mentality.
Louka currently teaches workshops in and around Montreal and is based out of Hardstyle Kettlebell Mtl. when he is not swinging a kettlebell or putting heavy weights overhead, he pursues his other passion of art in the form of painting and drawing (which was a part of his DNTO story).
check out some of his kettlebeasts:
Louka is offering two days of workshops – and they are happening just weeks from now!
HARDSTYLE KETTLEBELL – TECHNICAL AND PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
- skills developed by kettlebell training increase body awareness which translates to better safer movement
- kettlebell training develops functional strength. that which once felt heavy will feel like a toy
- kettlebell training delivers bang-for-your-buck fitness. you can achieve extreme conditioning with all-purpose strength
- kettlebells are compact and can be taken almost anywhere; they can replace an entire gym
- kettlebell training can help heal & overcome injuries while simultaneously increasing flexibility, agility & strength
- kettlebell training benefits both sides of the performance coin: maximal acceleration in the quick lifts and maximal tension in slow lifts
- kettlebell training teaches the correct way to perform the exercises! you will stand out because rarely does a trainee use them properly, including many (uncertified) trainers
what, exactly, is HARDSTYLE KETTLEBELL?
the term refers to a style of hand-to-hand combat practiced in Russian Special Operations in the 1970s. in the 1980s, Hardstyle Kettlebell training was developed to support this combative practice.
hardstyle strength was exemplified by powerlifting and Okinawan karate. the common denominator in any hardstyle method is compression:
- compress the muscles, because muscles produce force by tensing. maximize the tension
- compress the joints, because a loose joint absorbs the force meant to go elsewhere; it “leaks” power and is easily injured
- compress the breath, because a slack waist dissipates force like Jell-O. high intra-abdominal pressure increases strength
- cCompress the ground, to maximize stability and to take advantage of the reactive forces
- compress the focus. direct the force precisely to minimize losses
hardstyle strength training is the practice of the totality of compression skills.
this workshop will provide an in-depth practice of the 6 fundamental kettlebell exercises and their variations:
- the Hardstyle KB swing
- the KB Front Squat
- the Turkish-Get Up and the Arm-bar
- the KB Clean
- the KB Military Press
- the KB Snatch and the High Pull
plus, you will get:
- technique/ form fine tuning, intensive practice
- detailed progressions for every level of strength
- coaching cues and exercise correctives
- mobility drills to boost health and performance
- safety procedures
- program design
BODY WEIGHT POWER LIFTS – BEGINNER TO ADVANCED PROGRESSIONS
what are the Body Weight Power Lifts?
simply put, body weight power lifts are state-of-the-art drills that can be practiced practically anywhere which will increase your overall strength. the benefit is they have a large carryover to many real life applications. you will get back so much more than you put in!
this day long workshop will allow you to learn principles and techniques that will instantly make you stronger, such as total-body tension, power breathing and, NEVER training to failure. learn the Artificial Controlling Environment that will help your students and yourself become stronger fast.
you will learn that the KEY to all bodyweight drills is the hollow body position and you will receive detailed instruction in how to achieve and maintain this position.
all the exercise movements will be deconstructed and then progressively reconstructed for a systematic learning process, including:
- the one-arm pushup series: hardstyle plank, pushup, one-arm pushup
- tactical pull-up series: hollow rock, chin/pull-up, hanging-leg raise, front lever
- pistol squat series: close squat, airborne lunge, pistol squat
- handstand pushup series: headstand, handstand, piked/handstand pushup, headstand leg raise
this workshop will also cover how to design your own program incorporating the body weight power lifts.
HARDSTYLE KETTLEBELL: saturday july 18th, 9am – 4pm
BODY WEIGHT POWER LIFTS: sunday july 19th, 9am – 4pm
$200. by JUNE 30TH
$250. after JUNE 30TH
combine HARDSTYLE KETTLEBELL with BODY WEIGHT POWER LIFTS for
$350. by JUNE 30TH
$450. after JUNE 30TH
contact Wendy Chappell 902-894-8943
payments via email transfer to
or through paypal
this is an opportunity you do not want to miss!