Sprouts & Spareribs Soup
- 8c ginger & scallion simmered & strained chicken broth (make a great, flavourful broth)
- 1lb pork spareribs, cut into 1 inch segments
- 4 thick slices fresh ginger
- 1 lrg handful of sprouts (I used a mixture of spicy alfalfa, sunflower and mung bean sprouts)
- 2 med tomatoes, cut into 8ths
- salt to taste
- 1tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2tsp sesame oil
Bring broth to boil over high heat. Reduce to low and add spareribs and ginger. Simmer, skimming surface foam as needed, until meat is tender. About one hour.
Add sprouts, tomatoes, salt and pepper to soup. Simmer until softened. About 30 minutes.
Turn off heat, add sesame oil (Yum!) and serve hot.
This is a very simple soup. The ginger adds a wonderful winter warmth and the spareribs make it filling. The sesame oil is the perfect ingredient for a wonderful, tastes-like-more flavour.