This feels like the first weekend since forever that we’ve had a slow family day at home. The garage was swept, loads of laundry hung, young friends visited. Wine was sipped while lounging and reading in the yard, wine was sipped while cooking supper. He did the latter. It was wonderful. Smells wafted through the house and built up a powerful longing.
Shrimp with Spinach
- 8 oz shrimp
- 12 oz spinach – make it fresh and rejoice
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2/3c oil
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp kolangi (onion seeds)
- 1 tsp ginger root, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Slice the tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan. Add mustard seed and kolangi.
- Reduce heat, add tomatoes, spinach, ginger, garlic, chili powder and salt. Stir fry for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the fry pan. Stir in gently. Cover and simmer 7 – 10 minutes.
This dish is generally used as a side. However, we enjoyed it as a light meal served with fresh naan. Skip the naan if you are off grains and add more chili is you have a penchant for heat.