I managed to get in two barefoot runs this week, though I would have liked a third in there somewhere.

On Tuesday morning, after the 6:00am Boot Camp, I hustled to the studio to train a couple of clients –  such a pleasure working with these women!  With that completed, I headed back to Victoria Park.  It was a beautiful day and felt right for a bit of a run.

I parked along the front of Government House and ran the board walk to Brighton Road and back two times, for a total of approximately 4.9km.  The board walk was busy – power walkers, joggers, folks pushing strollers.  Everyone was friendly, loosened into a casual joyfulness by the great good weather, and willing to share a smile and a greeting.  One person mentioned recognizing me from the CBC Compass Five at 5  segment last week…

There was a city employee traveling on knees, with crowbar and hammer at hand, taking care of loose boards and lifted nail heads.  I stopped to tell him how much I appreciated his efforts and he thanked me for taking the time.  At the Brighton Road end of the board walk a road crew was busy resurfacing the parking lane.  Heat and tarry smells were pervasive, but brief.

This run felt so very, very good.  The breeze from the river and the soothing sun paired nicely with the give of the boards underfoot.  I kept thinking about lifting my feet and keeping my limbs loose; short steps with Turning Japanese playing in the background of my mind.  A nice sweat and back to the studio in time to teach a lunch time class.

Today I taught an 8:45am Kettlebell Class – eight back-to-back kettlebell tabatas.  Intense.  Everyone stepped up to it, stayed with it, and finished it strong.  Amazing effort, fine focus, sacred sweat!   I had to stay in town for an 11 o’clock meeting and I was traveling with my partner, so we headed to the Farmers’ Market for a coffee (okay, okay…coffee with one of those fabulous spelt walnut cranberry crunch squares) and a couple dozen free range eggs and then to campus.  He headed to his office; I peeled off my shoes for a short run.

I thought I would barefoot run loops through the network of pathways which are the arteries and veins of the campus – they pulse with the qi of campus during semester but are serene and deserted on a Saturday morning during intersession.  I ran into some challenges where there was construction on campus and stretches of open gravel or gravel-strewn walkways, so after a dodgy circuit through the corporeal campus, I headed to university circumferential.  A couple of loops around the outer edge of the campus gave me a bit of a thumping heart and a minimally sufficient lather.

I am loving barefoot running.  I experience absolutely none of the tibialis anterior issues I have when shod.  My knees and hips feels great and I really like the sensations along the soles of my feet.  Because I run without music, my barefootedness connects me even more deeply with the experience of running in the world.  It is a very present time.  It is good.

This week I received the Tribal Running car magnet, won in a mothers’ day draw.  I love that she is a barefoot runner.