Thai Tomato Soup
- 2oz cellophane or thin rice noodles
- 7 c rich chicken stock, simmered with shrimp shells for 5 – 10 minutes
- 2tbsp or to taste fish sauce
- 1tbsp or to taste chili garlic sauce
- 3c canned diced tomatoes in juice
- 1c green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp or to taste hot pepper sesame oil (I soaked some birdseye chilis in sesame oil)
- 1lb medium shrimp
- 1/2c loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- 3tbsp finely sliced garlic, crisp fried (in ¼ inch oil over moderate heat until golden brown)
Place noodles in a bowl and cover with hot water; soak until softened, 20 – 25 minutes. Drain and place on cutting board. Cut to form roughly 4 inch lengths.
Strain shrimp shells from stock. Stir in fish sauce, chili garlic sauce, tomatoes with their juice, green onions and sesame oil. Add noodles and shrimp, simmer for 3 minutes.
Serve topped with cilantro and crisp garlic. Easy and so very, very tasty.