Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger, Basil and Coconut
- about 3 pounds butternut squash
- 1tbsp olive oil + 2tsp for brushing squash
- 1 lrg onion, chopped
- 2 – 3tbsp fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 1tbsp ground coriander
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2tsp cinnamon
- 1/2tsp smoked paprika (or throw in a pinch of red chili flakes)
- 6c vegetable stock or water
- 1tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4c fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1c coconut milk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds, brush cut side with oil and place cut side down on an oiled baking sheet. Bake until soft – about 45 – 60 minutes. Scoop out squash when cool enough to handle and set aside.
Heat oil in large pot. Add onion and ginger, cook until soft, about 5 – 8 minutes. Add coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, and smoked paprika and cook an additional 2 minutes while stirring.
Add the squash, vegetable stock or water, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
Add lime juice, herbs and coconut milk. Blend until smooth with an immersion blender or in batches in a food processor. Add water if needed to reach desired consistency.
Garnish in bowls with additional coconut milk, herbs or anything which inspires you.